Board of Trustee Election
In 2013, ERS members and retirees will vote in an election for a spot on the Board of Trustees. We know employees value their benefits. Unfortunately, not many employees get involved with the ERS Board of Trustees election, even though Board members make decisions that are crucial to the benefits programs.
Candidate nominations for the ERS Board will open January 2. Nominations to fill the Board member seat held by Cheryl MacBride will be accepted until January 31 at 5 p.m. CT. See the nomination petition and other election documents below.
- If a person signs a nomination petition more than once, or signs a petition for more than one candidate, the signature will not be counted for any candidate.
- Voting starts March 8 and ends on April 12. The candidate receiving the most votes will be the new trustee.
The six-member Board has three appointed members and three elected members. Board members oversee the administration of state benefit programs, including retirement, insurance, deferred compensation, and flexible benefits. They also serve as trustees of the retirement trust fund and oversee the trust’s investments.
All nominees must be active members of the employee class of ERS. By state law, an agency may be represented by only one employee at a time. Because the Texas Department of Transportation and the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) are already represented on the Board, employees of those agencies are not eligible to run for the Board. This includes employees of affiliate agencies of HHSC, including the Department of Aging and Disability Services, Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services, Department of Family and Protective Services, and the Department of State Health Services. Employees of those agencies, however, can nominate or sign petitions for candidates from other agencies.
The appointed and elected members serve staggered six-year terms. The winning candidate in the upcoming election will serve from September 1, 2013 through August 31, 2019.
Wednesday, January 2, 2013 – Nominating petitions distributed
Thursday, January 31, 2013 – Nominations due to ERS by 5 p.m. CT
- Monday, February 11, 2013 – Certification of candidates; ballot order selected
- Thursday, March 7, 2013 – Candidate forum
- Friday, March 8, 2013 – Voting begins
- Friday, April 12, 2013 – Voting ends
- Thursday, May 9, 2013 – Election results certified
- Sunday, September 1, 2013 – Trustee term begins